At Woodchurch CE Primary School we strive to ensure that Physical Education is enjoyable, exciting and meets the needs of all our children.
The principal aims of physical education at Woodchurch are to ensure that all pupils:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives
The PE programme adheres to National Curriculum guidelines, and will ensure breadth and balance between the following six aspects: Dance, Gymnastics, Games, Athletics, Swimming and Outdoor and Adventurous activities. Please see the PE curriculum map for further details as well as the EYFS documents.
Feet on Friday
We are excited to announce that we have launched Feet on Friday at school! Each Friday, we encourage your children to walk to school. Even if you usually drive from surrounding villages, you and your children can participate by using the car park at the village green and enjoy walking up from the village!
Each Friday, children will be rewarded with a sticker to encourage and celebrate their achievement. On receiving 5 stickers, children will be presented with a certificate.
Why Feet on Friday is such a great idea:
- A generation ago, 70% of us walked to school; now it’s less than half.
- Happier children: it has been proven that children who do some form of exercise, especially a walk before school, do better in class because their increased serotonin levels from the activity mean they arrive refreshed, fit and ready to learn. It is also the ideal opportunity to meet and chat with friends (for parents and carers, as well as children!)
- Less Congestion: Research shows that 1 in 5 cars on the road are taking children to and from school. It is safer around school for pedestrians if there are fewer cars.
So you can see, Feet on Friday is better for you and the environment!
Thank you for your continued support and happy walking!
Useful websites to support PE
As well as learning about individual sports, our children develop many skills that are transferable across a range of sports. Please refer the adjacent links to find out more about an sport or area that you might be interested in. These websites have lots of useful information, where you can find local clubs and how to improve your skills!
Living a healthy lifestyle:
Useful Web Links:
If you would like your sport or sports club represented on our page, please email information to firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to your page!