At Woodchurch Church of England Primary School we have a connected curriculum approach. We have an overarching whole school theme which is split into 4 further themes, divided across 6 terms. This theme drives all teaching and learning and connections between subjects are made explicit whenever possible. Learning is always exciting and in a meaningful context for children. Coverage of all National Curriculum objectives is mapped by class teachers and then tracked by subject leaders to ensure all statutory requirements are met. Class teachers map the term in which National Curriculum objectives will be covered by completing curriculum maps for each theme ready for the beginning of each new school year.
Our overarching whole school theme for 2018-2019 is ‘In our element’. This is then split into:
Term 1 and 2
|Term 3||Term 4||Term 5 & 6|
All children take part in a daily English and Maths lesson. In addition to these, the children also take part in daily phonics lessons in Key Stage One and in Key Stage Two where necessary. Key Stage Two children engage in a daily guided skills session where they focus on developing and mastering basic reading, spelling and maths skills.
Spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development has a strong focus across the school curriculum and is in line with our school values and ethos. Pupils have the ability to reflect about their own beliefs and we encourage pupils to have a sense of enjoyment and fascination in learning about themselves, others and the world around them. At Woodchurch Church of England Primary School children develop a strong sense of moral purpose in addition to a respect and understanding of people who have different characteristics to themselves, whether that be age, disability, gender, race or sexuality.
Learning opportunities are enriching and engaging and offered by excellent staff in an ethos of care, love and support which enables our pupils to be well rounded, empathetic young people who have a thirst for learning and respect for all around them.
See our EYFS policy for information on how our early years curriculum is delivered.
Details of how our curriculum covers core subjects can be found in the following policies:
Our curriculum at Woodchurch Church of England Primary School aims to:
- Provide a broad and balanced education for all pupils
- Enable pupils to develop knowledge, understand concepts and acquire skills, and be able to choose and apply these in relevant situations
- Support pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development
- Support pupils’ physical development and responsibility for their own health, and enable them to be active
- Promote a positive attitude towards learning
- Ensure equal access to learning, with high expectations for every pupil and appropriate levels of challenge and support
- Promote the learning and development of our youngest children and ensure they are ready for Key Stage 1